How to apply for PMAY?
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a government initiative launched in 2015, which aims to provide affordable housing for first-time homeowners. Among its provisions, it offers an interest subsidy on a housing loan to eligible candidates who belong to the economically weaker, low-income, and mid-income groups. You can apply or register for this scheme online, via the website, or offline, by visiting a Common Service Centre.
PMAY aims to build over 2 million pucca homes, replete with basic amenities like gas, electricity, and water by 2022. The program is divided into two sections, PMAY Urban (PMAY - U) and PMAY Gramin (PMAY - G) that benefit the urban and rural populations, respectively. For a detailed breakdown of the scheme, the eligibility criteria, the application procedures, and more, read on.
What is the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana & PMAY List?
PMAY is a housing scheme and it consists of the following four components.
- In-Situ Redevelopment: The government aims to redevelop land under current slum dwellings, providing urban slum dwellers with better constructed homes that have proper sanitation facilities. A grant of Rs. 1 lakh is also available to those who are eligible to improve their homes.
- Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS): The government provides an interest subsidy of up to 6.50% on home loans offered via multiple banks and financial institutions, reducing the interest outgo and overall cost of the loan for first-time homeowners.
- Affordable Housing in Partnership: State governments in partnership with public or private developers will construct affordable housing for all beneficiaries, but with the focus on economically weaker sections of the society.
- Enhancement and construction of beneficiary-led houses: Eligible candidates that are exempt from the above-mentioned components will be granted financial assistance of Rs. 1.5 lakh from the central government to either rebuild their existing house or construct a new one.
To avail these benefits, you must apply for the PMAY scheme. On successfully applying, you will be allotted a unique application number, which you can use to check if your name is mentioned in the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana list. The PMAY list contains the names of eligible candidates whose applications have been accepted.
What are the eligibility criteria for PMAY?
Before learning how to apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, you must meet its eligibility criteria, which are split into 4 main income categories.
- Economically Weaker Section (EWS): Your family’s annual income should not be more than Rs. 3 lakhs
- Lower Income Group (LIG): Your annual household income is between Rs. 3 lakh and Rs. 6 lakhs
- Middle Income Group I (MIG I): Your annual household income ranges from Rs. 6 lakhs to Rs. 12 lakhs
- Middle Income Group II (MIG II): Your family’s annual income is above Rs. 12 lakh and below Rs. 18 lakhs
Additionally, you or your family members must not own a pucca house anywhere in the country or receive the benefit of any other government housing schemes.
How to apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana online?
If you qualify for PMAY and are wondering how to apply for PMAY online, follow this step-by-step guide below. List:
- Identify the category under which you qualify for PMAY.
- Then visit the official website.
- Click on ‘Citizen Assessment’ under the main menu and select the applicant category.
- You will be redirected to a different page where you must enter your Aadhaar details.
- Fill out the online PMAY application with your personal, income, and bank account details, and current residential address.
- Enter the captcha code, verify the details for accuracy, and submit it.
You can track the application status later by clicking on 'Track your Assessment Status' under 'Citizen Assessment'.
How can you register for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana offline?
If you are unable to apply online and wondering how to apply, PM Awas Yojana also supports an offline application. Simply visit a state government-run Common Service Centre and fill up the application form and pay Rs. 25 plus GST. Do note that no private centres or banks can accept offline PMAY applications.
What are the steps to apply for PMAY under the slum dwellers category?
To access PMAY benefits under the Slum Dweller category, follow the steps given below.
- Go to the official PMAY website.
- Select the ‘For Slum Dwellers’ option from the ‘Citizen Assessment’ dropdown list.
- Provide your Aadhaar Card number and then click on ‘Submit’.
- Enter accurate information such as your name, address and employment details.
- Fill in the captcha code and click on ‘Submit’.
What are the steps to apply for the PMAY subsidy under the ‘Other 3 components’ category?
If you qualify for PMAY under any of the three categories of EWS, LIG or MIG (I and II), follow the steps given below.
- 1 Log on to the official PMAY website and select the ‘Benefit Under Other 3 Components’ option from the ‘Citizen Assessment’ tab
- 2 Enter your Aadhaar number and click on the ‘Submit’ button
- 3 Post verification, you will be directed to a page where you need to fill out the required information regarding your age, employment and family
- 4 On filling every required field, enter the captcha code and click on ‘Submit'
With a clearer understanding of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana scheme, how to apply for it, and eligibility criteria, be sure to opt for Bajaj Finserv Home Loan to enjoy its benefits.
As a beneficiary, you can get the interest subsidy of up to Rs. 2.67 lakh under the CLSS component and gain access to a high-value sanction on offer. Further, you can easily repay this loan over a flexible tenor of up to 30 years, thus helping you keep your EMIs pocket friendly.
The validity of the PMAY scheme has not been extended.
- The EWS/ LIG schemes have been discontinued w.e.f. March 31, 2022
- The MIG schemes (MIG I and MIG II) have been discontinued w.e.f. March 31, 2021