A home loan is a loan used to purchase a home. It is typically secured by a mortgage, which gives the lender a legal claim to the property should the borrower default on the loan. Home loans are available from banks, credit unions, and other lenders.
In order to obtain a home loan, the applicant needs to provide certain documents that include documents for KYC verification, property documents, income proof, and proof of business existence if you are a self-employed professional. The list of documents required may differ depending on if the applicant is a salaried individual or a self-employed professional.
Home loan documents list for salaried applicants
- Property documents
- Sales deed, stamped agreement of sale, or allotment letter
- NOC from the housing society or builder
- Possession certificate and land tax receipt form the land/ land revenue/ revenue department
- Detailed estimation of the construction cost
- Bank account statement or payment receipt detailing payment made to the seller or builder
- Occupancy certificate (for constructed apartments)
- Identity proof (any one)
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Address proof (any one)
- Any of the above identity proof documents with the permanent address
- Electricity bill
- Telephone bill
- Post-paid mobile bill
- Water tax
- Property tax receipt
- Passport sized photograph
Home loan documents list for self-employed applicants
Find below, the list of documents self-employed applicants must produce for their application.
- Proof of business existence
- GST registration certificate
- Trade license
- Partnership deed
- Articles of Association/ Memorandum of Association
- Import Export Code
- SEBI registration certificate
- ROC registration certificate
- Financial statements (Audited by a CA)
- Profit & Loss Account Statement
- Balance sheet
- Bank account statement
- Last 6 months
Additional Read: Check eligibility for home loan
Avail a Bajaj Finserv Home Loan on simple eligibility terms and by producing minimal documentation. It might interest you to know that if your property is under construction, then you can even get a home loan without property registration documents. While getting a home loan sanctioned with zero documents is not possible, one can get time up to disbursal to furbish all the required documents.
For quick finance options, you can apply for a home loan online. When doing so, write down a home loan document list and keep your KYC, employee ID, and financial documents (salary slips, bank statements) on hand. Once your home loan application is processed and documents verified, you will receive a home loan sanction letter. With the online home loan facility you can get a digital sanction letter in just 10 minutes*. Once you accept this offer letter, the focus shifts to the property and you will have to produce property papers to enter into the home loan agreement and obtain a quick disbursal of funds.
You can use our home loan EMI calculator to plan your loan repayment journey wisely.
Frequently asked questions
If the property is under construction, the home loan can be obtained without the property registration documents. However, the property needs to be registered after possession and a completion certificate must be obtained. In the case of a property that is under construction, a borrower can avail of a home loan without property registration documents.
If the borrower has a pre-existing relationship with the lender from which they are availing of the home loan, they can get the home loan sanctioned without any documentation. You can even apply for an online home loan and get a digital sanction letter without any documentation. Of course, all documents are required at the time of verification/ disbursal.
Home Loan applicants need to furnish personal documents, such as PAN card and Aadhaar Card, among others; income-related documents, such as bank account statements; employment/ business-related documents, such as salary slips or profit and loss statements; and property-related documents.
Home Loan Documents List
- Proof of Identity: Passport/ voter ID/ driving license/ PAN
- Proof of Address: Telephone Bill/ Electricity Bill/ Passport/ Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Property Documents: A copy of original sale deed, NOC from society, allotment-possession letter, etc.
- Proof of Income: Income Tax Return (ITR), salary slips, certificate of practice (for professionals), audited financial sheet (for self-employed applicants and professionals), qualification certificate (for professionals), P&L statement (for self-employed applicants), etc.
To complete your home loan application, you will need to submit all necessary documents for verification. You can do this by either handing over hard copies or submitting soft copies online.
Aadhaar may not be mandatory for obtaining a home loan. However, it is advisable to check with the financial institution you are considering for a home loan to get the most up-to-date and accurate information on their requirements.
Purchasing a life insurance policy is not mandatory when opting for a home loan. However, some lenders might offer or require you to buy a life insurance policy as part of the home loan package.
Form 16 is not mandatory for a home loan application. Form 16 is a document issued by employers to their employees, providing details about the income earned and the taxes deducted at source (TDS) during a specific financial year.
Yes, a sale agreement is typically required when applying for a home loan. It provides details about the property, the parties involved, the sale price, payment terms, and other important terms of the transaction.
Here is the list of documents required for home loan balance transfer:
- KYC documents (identity and address proof)
- Proof of income (salary slips or P&L statement)
- Proof of business (for self-employed applicants), and
- Account statements for the last 6 months
It is not mandatory to take insurance for a home loan. However, lenders may ask borrowers to take a home loan insurance policy to protect the loan repayment if the borrower is unable to repay the loan due to death, disability, or loss of employment.
Some of the documents needed for home loan transfer are identity proof, address proof, income proof, bank statements, property papers, and NOC from the existing bank. Other documents may vary depending on the lender and the type of loan.