Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin - PMAY-G
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a central government initiative aimed at providing affordable housing for all by the year 2022. It has two components Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin or Rural (PMAY-G, also known as PMAY-R) and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U).
In this article, we will look at the various aspects of PMAY-G to understand the subsidies offered, eligibility criteria and the application process.
Objectives of PMAY gramin
The primary goal of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Gramin is to build pucca houses with basic amenities such as water, sanitation and electricity for those who do not have their own homes and those who live in kutcha houses or damaged houses.
The central government has extended the rural housing scheme PMAY (Rural) for another two years till 31st March 2024 granting further financial assistance to achieve its target of building 2.95 crore low-cost homes. As of November 2021, 1.65 crore units have been completed, while another 1.3 crore houses remain to be constructed.
Subsidies under PMAY - G scheme
There are various subsidies offered under PMAY-G. These include:
- Loans up to Rs. 70,000 from financial institution
- Interest subsidy of 3%
- Subsidy for the maximum principal amount is Rs. 2 lakh
- The maximum subsidy for the payable EMI is Rs. 38,359
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin Features and benefits
The key features and benefits of this scheme are:
- Both the central and state governments share the cost of housing units in a 60:40 ratio in plain areas offering up to Rs. 1.20 lakh funding assistance for each unit
- The ratio of central and state cost sharing is 90:10 in the Himalayan states, North-Eastern states and Union Territories (UT) of Jammu & Kashmir with monetary aid up to Rs. 1.30 lakh for each unit
- 100% financing provided by the centre for Union Territories including the UT of Ladakh
- Beneficiaries get 90-95 days of employment under MGNREGA and Rs. 90.95 per day for unskilled labour
- The Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) parameters help identify PMAY - G beneficiaries, which are then verified by Gram Sabhas
- Financial support of Rs. 12,000 for construction of toilets under Swachh Bharat Mission - Gramin (SBM-G) or other schemes
- Based on topography, climate, culture and other housing practices, beneficiaries can choose their house design
- Direct payments made to Aadhaar-linked bank accounts or post office accounts electronically
- The minimum area or size of the housing units offered under this scheme increased from 20 sq.mt. to 25 sq. mt
Beneficiaries under PMAY-G
In order to be a PMAY-G beneficiary, priority is based on the following socio-economic factors:
- If households have no adult members between the ages of 16 to 59 years
- They have no literate member above 25 years
- Families headed by a female with no adult member between 16 to 59 years of age
- Households with a disabled member and no able-bodied adult
- Families that own no land and earn mostly through casual labour
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin Eligibility Criteria
The PMAY - G eligibility criteria are based on specific deprivation scores and different priority lists. These include:
- 1 Applicant's family must not own any house/ property
- 2 Families with houses having zero, one or two rooms with a kutcha wall and kutcha roof
- 3 Families belonging to scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, and minority groups
- 4 They must not own motorised two-wheeler, three-wheeler, four-wheeler, agricultural equipment, or fishing boat
- 5 They should have Kisan Credit Card (KCC) limit lower than Rs. 50,000
- 6 No family member should be employed in government service or earn more than Rs. 10,000 per month
- 7 Applicants or their family members should not be income tax or professional taxpayers. The family must not own a refrigerator or have a landline phone connection
Documents required for PMAY Gramin
The following documents are necessary when applying for PMAY:
- Aadhar card
- Consent document for using Aadhar on behalf of the beneficiary
- MGNREGA-registered job card number
- Swachh Bharat Mission registration number
- Bank account details
- Affidavit stating the beneficiaries, or their family members do not own a pucca house
How to apply for a PMAY-G subsidy?
Automatic selection of beneficiaries is done by the government through SECC. Even then, you can add beneficiary names or register for PMAY by following these steps:
- 1 Visit the official PMAY website
- 2 Fill in the required personal details - gender, mobile number, Aadhar number etc
- 3 Click the 'Search' button to find beneficiary name, PMAY ID and priority
- 4 Click 'Select to Register'
- 5 Beneficiary details will be automatically generated
- 6 Verify your auto-filled details and key in the remaining ones - ownership type, Aadhar number etc
- 7 Type in the beneficiary details - name, bank details etc
- 8 If you want a loan, select Yes and enter the desired loan amount
- 9 In the next section, enter MGNREGA job card number and Swachh Bharat Mission number
- 10 Submit the form. Your registration number will be displayed
Anyone who wishes to apply for PMAY-G and avail the subsidies can easily apply online and take advantage of the extension till March 2024. This government housing scheme offers plenty of benefits for those residing in the rural parts of the country.
PMAY Gramin Frequently Asked Questions
- Visit the official PMAY website
- Click on 'Data Entry'
- 'Select 'PMAY Rural Application Login'
- Type in your Username and Password as per the information provided by your Panchayat
- Fill the required fields - personal details, beneficiary savings bank account number, etc and submit
- Go to PMAY website
- Click 'Citizen Assessment'. Select 'Track your Assessment Status' from the drop-down menu
- 'Track Application Status' page will be displayed. You can check your status with/ without your assessment ID. Fill in the required details as per your chosen option
- Click 'Submit' to view your application status
The PMAY subsidy can only be claimed for new home loans, not under existing home loans.
Even then if you want to apply for PMAY after taking a home loan, you must do so quickly to avail the PMAY benefits. Check with your bank or lender in this regard. Subsidy is credited only after the applicant is found eligible and the verification process is complete.
Under the PMAY, when a candidate submits an application, an ID is generated on the basis of the applicant’s category. This is the PMAY Assessment ID, which is required to track the application status.
- Visit the official PMAY website
- Click 'Search Beneficiary' on the home page. Enter your Aadhar number
- Click on the 'Show' button to generate your PMAY Assessment ID
PMAY - G can be applied under two categories - Under other 3 components (EWS, MIG and LIG) and Slum dwellers. The application form has two pages - one for Aadhar details and the second page requires your personal details.
Yes. PMAY-G applies to Gram Panchayats. Individuals can contact their ward member or Gram Panchayat to get the application details. The PMAY application form available from the respective Gram Panchayats has to be filled in with proper documentation and then submitted.