UAN or Universal Account Number is an identification number allotted to every individual with a Provident Fund account. This is a unique 12-digit number provided by the Employee Provident Fund Organisation or the EPFO. Like a Permanent Account Number (PAN), your UAN is also constant throughout life. So, even if you change jobs over the years, your UAN will remain the same.
How to generate your UAN for EPF?
When an employee joins the service sector for the first time, the employer has to get the UAN generated for him if the company has 20 or more employees. In case a UAN has been assigned to the employee in the previous organization, he has to furnish the details to the new employer. In order to get a new UAN generated for the employee, the employer has to follow these steps:
- Login to EPF Employer Portal using the Establishment ID and password.
- Click on the “Register Individual” tab in the “Member” section.
- Enter the employee’s details such as PAN, Aadhaar, bank details, etc.
- Approve all details in the “Approval” section.
- A new UAN is generated by EPFO and the employer can link the PF account with UAN of the employee.
Documents required to generate a UAN?
If you have just started at your first job (or the first job at a company registered by the EPFO), you would have to produce the following documents to create your UAN.
- Identity proof: driving licence, passport, voter ID
- Address proof: ration card, rental agreement, any utility bill in your name
- Bank account details: Bank account number, branch details, IFSC code
- Permanent Account Number (PAN) card
- Aadhaar Card
- Employee State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) card
Read Also: How to find your UAN number online
How to activate your UAN?
You can easily activate your UAN number through the following steps:
- Log on to the official EPFO website
- On the homepage, find: ‘For employees’ under the section: our services
- Click on it
- This leads to a page that offers different services offered by the EPFO
- Click on the section: Member UAN/Online services
- After this, click on the link: Activate UAN
- Enter the necessary details like your mobile number, UAN, PF member ID, and email ID
- Click on: Get authorisation PIN. You would receive a PIN on your registered mobile number
- Enter the PIN and click on activate UAN
This will activate your UAN. Next, you will receive a password on your registered mobile number. With this password, you can access your UAN account. Once you log into your account, you can change the password as necessary. Once activated, you can easily track your EPF and manage your withdrawals and transfers by logging on to the EPFO website.
UAN is important for employees. With it, you can ensure your employer does not withhold or access any funds belonging to you. Also, whenever you switch from one job to another, your UAN remains the same. However, you are provided with a different member ID. This ID is linked to your Universal Account Number. This is to make the entire process of EPF transfers and withdrawals much easier.
How to Know Your UAN
- Access the EPFO Member Portal for UAN retrieval.
- Select "Know your UAN."
- Input your registered mobile number, captcha, and tap "Request OTP."
- Verify by entering the received OTP and captcha.
- Provide your Name, DOB, Aadhaar/PAN/member ID, and captcha, then click "Show my UAN" to reveal your UAN.
How to Link Aadhaar with UAN
- Access your EPF account via the EPFO member homepage.
- Navigate to the "Manage" section and select "KYC."
- Mark the box next to Aadhaar and input your 12-digit Aadhaar number and name.
- Click "Save."
- Your request will appear in "KYC Pending for Approval."
- Once UIDAI verifies your details, your current employer's name will be listed under "Approved by Establishment," and "Verified by UIDAI" will be indicated next to your Aadhaar.
Importance of Universal Account Number (UAN)
- UAN serves as a centralised platform housing all of a member's PF accounts, simplifying the previously challenging task of monitoring EPF accounts.
- With UAN, members can effortlessly transfer their PF from old accounts to new ones through online procedures.
- Activation of UAN grants members access to a range of online services offered by EPFO.
Employee-Specific Benefits of UAN
UAN benefits employees by providing transparency and control over their EPF accounts. It enables quick withdrawal or transfer of funds, access to account statements, and eliminates the need for multiple PF account numbers when changing jobs, streamlining the EPF process.
Calculate your expected investment returns with the help of our investment calculators: