Any account number is a unique identification number that helps you keep your information, money, and assets safe. The most common variety of account numbers are your bank account number and your consumer account number, which allows you to pay your utility bills. Like these account numbers, the UAN number also uniquely identifies your EPF (Employee Provident Fund) deposits and keeps them safe. In addition, it helps you port various PF accounts started for you by multiple employers under one number and is accessible only to you. In a way, this unique identification method secures your deposits with a virtual lock and key and simplifies the process of accessing and checking on your EPF.
What is UAN number?
UAN, short for Universal Account Number, is a 12-digit identifier assigned to every member of the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) in their respective names. This unique EPFO UAN is provided by the Indian government, operating under the Ministry of Employment and Labor.
Two separate UAN are assigned to you and your employer by the EPFO. The UAN, once generated, stays constant throughout the company’s years in business and all along your employment years, irrespective of the number of jobs you change. Every time you change jobs, the EPFO, on intimation, will allow you a new member identification number (ID), which will link to your existing UAN. You can raise a request for the member ID either directly with EPFO or do it with your employer so that they can use your UAN to request the EPFO for a new member ID.
How To Find Your UAN Number Online?
There are two ways in which you can find out your UAN. The first is by getting it through your employer and the second way is to find it by using the UAN portal. Here’s more on the process involved:
1. Checking your UAN with your employer: Normally, not, your employer will notify you about your Universal Account Number in case of your first employment. However, if, for some reason, you don’t have a record of it, your UAN number is printed on your salary slip from the time your company starts deducting your salary towards PF contributions. This is the most common protocol followed by Indian companies, making it easy for you to check your UAN right on the salary slip.
2. Finding your UAN on the website:
- Log on to “Our Services” section of the epfindia.gov.in
- Select "For Employees" and then opt for "Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)" from the services menu
- You will be directed to the portal: unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in. Locate and click on "Know Your UAN" found in the Important Links section
- Enter the required captcha code and provide your mobile number
- Upon selecting "Request OTP," a single-use password will be sent to the mobile number linked to your UAN
- After entering the OTP, your UAN will be generated and sent to you via SMS
Obtaining your UAN number via SMS is also an option. Simply send a message from your registered mobile phone to the number 7738299899. Once the message is sent, you will receive information regarding your PF contribution and the current balance in your EPF account. Additionally, the EPFO will subsequently send updates about your latest PF contribution, balance, and any required KYC information to your registered mobile number. This SMS service allows participants to conveniently access their UAN, recent contributions, and PF balance.
Why is a UAN needed?
As a salaried individual in a company that deducts and contributes towards an Employee Provident Fund, you will be allotted a UAN number. Earlier, this wasn’t the case when you were allocated multiple member IDs for each PF account started by different employers. The UAN mandate was brought into being on October 1, 2014, by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to create a single umbrella under which all your PF accounts may be easily and conveniently accessed by you.
UAN seeks to simplify PF transactions since having a single UAN allows you to manage all your PF accounts in one place, irrespective of how many employers you may have had during your employment journey. So, UAN makes accessing your PF a much more organized and efficient process and saves you the effort of maintaining various passwords and account details of multiple PFs.
How will UAN change things?
The Universal Account Number generated for you at the beginning of your career helps organize all your simultaneous PFs over the years. It puts the multiple IDs linking you to your employers all in one place. If you have been a salaried employee since before 2014, then UAN enables you to port your PF number. Here are the few features and benefits of UAN.
UAN works towards easing the process of employee verification by the EPFO and controls all employees’ data in one place
- You can withdraw or transfer your PF money anytime using the UAN
- Both your employer and you can manage a record of the PF account and its balance using the hassle-free online UAN member portal
- Your employer can quickly validate your PF withdrawal requests or submit PF into your account using the UAN portal
- UAN brings all your KYC and PF details into one place, which has easy accessibility online
How do employees benefit from UAN?
Apart from easy access and a more efficient process via the UAN portal, you benefit from UAN in the following ways:
- You can instantly check your PF balance anytime at your comfort
- Authenticated by your KYC and linked to your Aadhaar, your UAN is secure and may be used by you via your smartphone to check your PF balance by sending a simple SMS
- The UAN number is your identification number, independent of your employers
- Only you can have access to the account based on your KYC details
- You can keep track of your PF account to see whether your employer is crediting your account every month based on your deductions
How to generate UAN number
During your first job, your employer will ask for a few documents from you to generate your UAN number. This is a one-time process. Once developed, this number remains unchanged and stays with you all along your employment years.
Here are the documents that you will need to furnish to generate your UAN.
Documents required to generate UAN
- Your bank account number, IFSC code, branch name
- Your ID proof, be it a Driving License, Passport, Voter ID, Aadhaar, SSLC Book
- Your address proof, be it a recent utility bill in your name, rental/lease agreement, ration card, or any photo ID proof that has your current address mentioned
- PAN card and Aadhaar Card is mandatory
How to link Aadhaar with UAN
The government has made it mandatory to link your Aadhaar details with UAN.
However, if your Aadhaar updates were not linked when you became a UAN member, then you can do so now by following a few simple steps online using this portal or offline using an application form.
Link Aadhaar with UAN – offline
EPFO has developed an Aadhaar Linking Application Form, and you will need to fill it using your UAN, Aadhaar number, and other required personal details. You will also have to attach self-attested copies of your UAN card, PAN card, and Aadhaar card with this form. Then you can submit all the documents at the field offices of EPFO or Common Services Centres (CSC). Once verified and registered, your Aadhaar will be linked to your UAN, and you will get notified about the same via SMS.
Link Aadhaar with UAN – online
To link your Aadhaar on the website, you will just have to enter your UAN number and your mobile number to generate an OTP. On entering the correct OTP, you will be asked to enter your Aadhaar number and specify your gender. Choose the OTP verification after this step to successfully generate and verify your Aadhaar. Once done click ‘Submit’. Your Aadhaar will be linked to your UAN within 15 days.
How to link multiple EPF accounts with UAN
Your UAN number has been issued to bring in all your Provident Employee Funds under the purview of one unique number. The EPFO promotes this unified system as ‘one employee-one EPF account.’ So, you can pull in up to 10 PF accounts within this singular system by visiting the EPFO portal.
Here is how you can bring all your PF accounts together under one UAN number.
- To initiate the process, keep your UAN number, current EPF account number linked with the UAN number, and your KYC details such as bank account number, IFSC code, Aadhaar number, PAN card number handy
- All these details must be verified and approved by your current employer
Now, start the process by clicking here and follow the steps below.
- Go to the main menu and click on ‘Our Services’ tab to access ‘For Employee’ services
- Click on ‘One Employee – One EPF Account’ listed under the services tab
- Input the required details to generate OTP
- Enter the OTP you receive on your registered mobile number linked with the UAN to come to the enter EPF ID page
- Now input your old EPF ID, accept the declaration and click ‘submit.’ Your IDs will be linked, and you will get an intimation of the same on your registered mobile number
How to download a UAN card?
- Go to the official EPFO website
- Login using your UAN and password
- Click on the UAN card option.
- Your UAN card will appear on the screen
- Click the download button.
- After the download, save the PDF file