What is property tax in Ahmedabad
Property tax is a mandatory financial liability that you must fulfill every year as an owner of a property or plot. With a house or property in Ahmedabad, it is important for you to gain insights into the property tax Ahmedabad and then proceed to pay your dues. This is because the local municipal or civic authorities in your state are responsible for the assessment of dues. Every state in India has its own mechanism in place, based on which the property tax that you are eligible to pay is determined.
Overview of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC)
The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation, more commonly known as the Amdavad Municipal Corporation, was brought to action under the Bombay Provincial Corporation Act in 1950. Right from the start, AMC has been taking care of the civic infrastructure and administration of Ahmedabad. The corporation has been instrumental in implementing a reform of the Ahmedabad municipal tax by setting a ‘zero litigation’ record. One of the first few municipalities to have introduced online property tax payment facilities, AMC allows you to pay your Ahmedabad property tax online.
A progressive and highly advanced municipal corporation, AMC sends you the Ahmedabad municipal corporation tax bill through e-mail. Simultaneously, you also receive SMS alerts pertaining to your property tax in Ahmedabad. The Ahmedabad Municipal corporation property tax bill has several parameters like full cash value, assessed value of your property, and taxable value listed. AMC encourages you to pay your dues online in order to save time and effort.
Calculation of property tax in Ahmedabad
With or without the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation Property tax bill, you can self-assess your total tax dues on AMC’s website. The AMC, since 2001, computes property tax in Ahmedabad payable on your property based on its capital value. This system is dependent on the following factors:
- Location of the property
- Type of property
- Age of property
- Its usage in Ahmedabad
The formula you can use to manually calculate the property tax in Ahmedabad is:
Total tax payable = Area x Rate x (f1 x f2 x f3 x f4 x fn)
f1 is weightage given to the location of the property
f2 is weightage given to the type of property
f3 is weightage given to the age of the property
f4 is weightage assigned to residential buildings
fn is weightage assigned to the user of the property
You can pick all the weights from the official AMC website.
Property Tax rates in Ahmedabad 2022-23
Type of Property
Tax Rate(Per sq m)
Non- Residential Property
Steps to pay property tax in Ahmedabad
You can easily pay property tax in Ahmedabad online by visiting the official website of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation. In case you want to resolve some queries or want to visit AMC personally for your tax payment, you can do so. However, the government encourages you to pay your Ahmedabad municipal tax online as you can do so stress-free. Here is how you can make your Ahmedabad house tax payment online in just a few easy steps.
- Visit the official website of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation. Find a ‘Quick Pay’ link towards the end of the home page and click on ‘Pay Property Tax’
- On the next page, enter the tenement number in the space provided and click ‘Search’
- Now, you will see the name of the owner, address, occupier (if any), and the property tax in Ahmedabad amount
- Check the amount and property details carefully before proceeding. Click ‘Pay’ once you are sure of all the information displayed on the screen
- You will be redirected to the payment gateway, where again you will have to confirm your tenement details and payment amount. Here, you will have to provide your mobile number or e-mail ID
- Once all details are in place, click ‘confirm’ and proceed to pay. You can choose to pay via your debit card/ credit card. Once you enter the card details and pay, your account will be debited immediately, and you will receive a Transaction Reference Number as an acknowledgment of your payment
- Remember that the amount will be credited into the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation’s account either immediately or within 2 working days
- While you will get the receipt of the payment as an acknowledgment within a few minutes of your payment, expect a proper receipt from AMC via email. It is important to save the official tax receipts in order to avoid any discrepancies in the future
Ahmedabad municipal tax due dates and rebates
You can pay your Ahmedabad house tax half-yearly once by March 31st and the other by October 15th every year. In case you pay an advance tax than as per the AMC you are eligible for a 10% rebate on your total tax dues. However, defaults or delays in payment will result in a penalty and you will have to pay a 2% per month fine for the total number of months you delay the payment.
However, just last year the government announced a 30% rebate in property tax in Ahmedabad for commercial property owners and you get a 20% rebate if your property qualifies under the Atma Nirbhar package of the state government.
Now that you know the tax details laid out by AMC, you can proceed and invest in a property in Ahmedabad to enjoy these rebates. To get a hassle-free loan against property, opt for Bajaj Finserv. With this option, you can avail of a high-value loan with an attractive rate of interest and a flexible repayment tenor that makes it easy on your pocket.
Property Tax in Other Cities
Frequently asked question for property tax in Ahmedabad
Property tax in Ahmedabad is calculated based on the carpet area of the property. The following are few factors on which calculation of AMC property tax depends-
- Type of property
- Location Factor
- Occupancy factor
- Floor details
- Rate of tax
Now you can pay online property tax in Ahmedabad by visiting Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation’s official website and following these steps.
- On the AMC homepage select ‘Online Service (Without Login)’ from the menu. Select the tab ‘Tax Department’ and choose ‘Pay Property Tax’.
- On clicking this, you will be asked to enter your tenement details. Enter the Tenement Number and click ‘Search’.
- You will now see all your property details, including your name, address, and the total dues. Verify this carefully to see if everything is in order. Click ‘Pay’ to initiate the payment of property tax in Ahmedabad.
- To proceed, verify your e-mail ID and phone number so that you receive the payment confirmation on your registered number and e-mail post payment.
- After confirming your number and ID, you will be redirected to a payment gateway. Choose your preferred mode of payment. On paying, you will receive a Transaction Reference Number as an acknowledgment of your payment.
- Using the reference number, download your receipt from the AMC website or wait to get it on your email within 2 working days.
Paying your property tax well before time does have its advantages, such as tax rebates. To be able to be eligible for this, you must stay vigilant for the advance tax announcement. Typically, the announcement is made in the month of April, at the beginning of every financial year.