ROI up to 7.25%* on FDInvest Online
UAN gives you freedom to port your PF accounts
Create your UAN using ID proof& bank details
Activate UAN number online in a few simple steps
Track, alter, update your PF details via UAN
Any account number is a unique identification number that helps you keep your information, money, and assets safe. You are already familiar with the most common variety of account numbers: your bank account number and your consumer account number, which allows you to pay your utility bills. Similar to these account numbers, the UAN number also uniquely identifies your EPF (Employee Provident Fund) deposits and keeps them safe. It helps you port various PF accounts started for you by various employers under one number, and is accessible only to you. In a way, this unique identification method secures your deposits with a virtual lock and key and simplifies the process of accessing and checking on your EPF.
DID You Know? Bajaj Finance Fixed Deposit offers assured returns of up to 7.35%, along with multi-deposit, loan against FD, and auto-renewal facilities. FD OnlineHere’s an in-depth look at the different aspects of UAN.
Universal Account Number or UAN is a 12-digit identification number, which both you and your employer are assigned, by virtue of which you each of you can contribute to the EPF. This number is issued by Ministry of Labour and Employment and is generated and assigned by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO).
Two separate UAN numbers are assigned to you and your employer by the EPFO. The UAN once generated stays constant throughout the company’s years in business and all along your employment years, irrespective of the number of job you change. Every time you change a job, the EPFO, on intimation, will allot you a new member identification number (ID), which they will link to your existing UAN. You can raise a request for the member ID either directly with EPFO or do it with your employer, so that they can use your UAN to request the EPFO for a new member ID.
There are two ways in which you can find out your UAN number. The first is by getting it through your employer and the second way is to find it by using the UAN portal. Here’s more on the process involved:
1. Checking your UAN with your employer: Normally, in case of your first employment, your employer will notify you about your Universal Account Number. However, if, for some reason, you don’t have a record of it, your UAN number is printed on your salary slip from the time your company starts deducting your salary towards PF contributions.This is the most common protocol followed by Indian companies, making it easy for you to check your UAN right on the salary slip.
2. Finding your UAN on the website: Log on to the UAN portal
(a) Click on the ‘Know your UAN Status’ tab.
(b) Next you will be asked to either enter basic details such as your Aadhaar number, PAN number, etc., or fill in a form based on your PF number/member ID (you can ask your employer for these details).
(c) In case you have the PF number/member ID, fill those parameters and then choose your state and EPFO office from the dropdown menu.
(d) Otherwise, use your Aadhaar or PAN number to find out your UAN number.
(e) The other details that are mandatory for both routes are your name, date of birth, mobile number, and captcha code.
(f) After you fill the form, click on ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
(g) You will immediately receive the PIN on your mobile number.
(h) Enter the PIN and click on ‘Validate OTP’ to seethe UAN button.
(i) Click on the UAN button to get your Universal Account Number via SMS on your mobile number.
Additional Read: How to apply for PAN Card Online
As a salaried individual in a company that deducts and contributes towards an Employee Provident Fund, you will be allotted a UAN number. This wasn’t the case earlier, when you were allotted multiple member IDs for each PF account started by different employers. The UAN mandate was brought into being on October 1, 2014 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to create a single umbrella under which all your PF accounts may be easily and conveniently accessed by you.
Additional Read: How To Change Mobile Number in PF Account
UAN seeks to simplify PF transactions since having a single UAN allows you to manage all your PF accounts in one place, irrespective of how many employers you may have had during the course of your employment journey. So, UAN not only makes accessing your PF a much more organised and efficient process, but also saves you the effort of maintaining various passwords and account details of multiple PFs.
Behtar nahi banate toh aage kaise badhte
The Universal Account Number generated for you at the beginning of your career helps organise all your simultaneous PFs over the years, and puts the multiple IDs linking you to your employers all in one place. If you have been a salaried employee since before 2014, then UAN enables you to port your PF number. Here are the few features and benefits of UAN.
- UAN works towards easing the process of employee verification put in place by the EPFO and controls all employees’ data at one place.
- For UAN activation, all you need to provide are your identity and bank account details, based on which active verification is taken care of.
- The UAN number also notifies your employers, both existing and new, about your past account details and PF history.
- You can withdraw or transfer your PF money anytime using the UAN.
- Both your employer and you can manage a record of the PF account and its balance using the hassle-free online UAN member portal.
- Your employer can easily validate your PF withdrawal requests or submit PF into your account using the UAN portal.
- UAN brings all your KYC and PF details into one place, which has easy accessibility online.
Additional Read: How To Transfer PF Account
Apart from easy access and a more efficient process via the UAN portal, you benefit from UAN in the following ways:
- You can promptly check your PF balance anytime at your own comfort
- Authenticated by your KYC and linked to your Aadhaar, your UAN is secure and may be used by you via your smartphone to check your PF balance by sending a simple SMS.
- The UAN number is your own identification number, independent of your employers.
- Only you can have access to the account based on your KYC details.
- You can keep a track of your PF account to see whether your employer is crediting your account every month on the basis of your deductions.
During your first job, your employer will ask for a few documents from you to generate your UAN number. This is a one-time process. Once generated, this number remains unchanged and stays with you all along your employment years.
Here are the documents that you will need to furnish to generate your UAN.
- Your bank account number, IFSC code, branch name
- Your ID proof, be it a Driving License, Passport, Voter ID, Aadhaar, SSLC Book
- Your address proof , be it a recent utility bill in your name, rental/lease agreement, ration card or any photo ID proof that has your current address mentioned
- PAN card and Aadhaar Card is mandatory
- ESIC card, in case you have an existing account
Additional Read: How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN card?
In case your employer does not generate the UAN number for you but still continues to make contributions and deductions for your PF, then you can visit the UAN portal and following a few simple steps mentioned above generate UAN on your own. This will also help you track whether your employer has been actually contributing to your PF account all this while or not.
Additional Read: How To Calculate PF Contribution
Once you have been handed over your UAN number or you have generated the same, you can easily activate it using the following steps:
- Visit the UAN portal and select the ‘Activate UAN’option
- On the UAN activation page, activate your UAN number using the generated UAN, PAN or your Aadhaar.
- After selecting one of the three options mentioned above, enter your personal details including the mobile number.
- A verification PIN will be sent to the number you entered.
- Input this pin and click on ‘Authorize and Activate’ to activate your UAN.
Apart from the UAN portal, you can also use the EPFO App to activate your UAN number and check your PF accounts. It is best that you download UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) for this purpose, which features UAN as one its 213 government services. Click here to learn more about UMANG. You can download UMANG for both Android and iOS from the website, the App/Play Store or by giving a missed call on 9718397183.
You can also activate UAN through a normal SMS. Just message EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899. Once the message is successfully sent, just select the options and reply based on the messages you receive. Within minutes you will be informed about the UAN activation.
You can do a host of things using your UAN number from managing and tracking your PF balances, to withdrawing funds whenever required. Most importantly, this number allows you to take the organisation and management process online, which you can easily carry out using the UAN member portal or via the EPFO App.
As an UAN member you can enjoy an array of facilities using your member login details via the UAN member portal.
- You can download UAN Card.
- You can download UAN Passbook.
- You can get a list of your previous member IDs.
- You can update your KYC details at any point of time.
- You can do an eligibility check online.
- You can edit your personal details.
- You can link the UAN with Aadhaar if not previously done.
- You can request a PF transfer, claim partial withdrawal of PF funds, or claim full PF withdrawal.
Additional Read: Link Aadhaar With PF Account
Employers generally share your PF balance status once every year, normally at the end of each financial year. However, in case you don’t want to wait that long or want to check your PF balance on a monthly basis, then you can do that at your convenience using your UAN number via any of these 4 simple paths.
Go to www.epfindia.gov.in and select the 'For Employees' tab under 'Our Services'. A Member Passbook Facility page will open. Enter your UAN number and password based on your credentials here and you will immediately get access to your passbook. Members of establishments who are exempted under the EPF Scheme, 1952, will not be allowed to access the passbook facility.
Message EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899. Once the message is successfully sent you, keep selecting the options and reply based on the messages you receive and within minutes you will get your balance via SMS.
Give a missed call on 011-22901406 from your registered mobile number and the balance details will be sent to you as a SMS.
Download the app of EPFO and click on the option ‘‘Employee Centric Services’. Enter your UAN and log in using the OTP sent to your mobile number. Then you can check your EPF passbook , raise a claim or track any claims you have initiated.
Additional Read: EPF Claim Forms
The government has made it mandatory to link your Aadhaar details with UAN. In case your Aadhaar updates were not linked at the time you became an UAN member, you can do so now by following a few simple steps online using this portal or offline using an application form.
EPFO has developed an Aadhaar Linking Application Form and you will need to fill it using your UAN,Aadhaar number, and other required personal details. You will also have to attach self-attested copies of your UAN card, PAN card, and Aadhaar card with this form. Then you can submit all the documents at the field offices of EPFO or Common Services Centres (CSC). Once verified and registered your Aadhaar will be linked to your UAN and you will get notified about the same via SMS.
To link your Aadhaar on the website, you will just have to enter your UAN numberand your mobile number to generate an OTP. On entering the correct OTP, you will be asked to enter your Aadhaar number and specify your gender. Choose the OTP verification after this step to successfully generate and verify your Aadhaar. Once done click ‘Submit’. Your Aadhaar will be linked to your UAN within 15 days.
Your UAN number has been issued to bring in all your Employee Provident Funds under the purview of one unique number.The EPFO promotes this unified system as ‘one employee-one EPF account’. So, you can pull in up to 10 PF accounts within this singular system by visiting the EPFO portal.
Additional Read: How To Link Multiple PF Accounts To UAN
Here is how you can bring all your PF accounts together under one UAN number.
1. To initiate the process, keep your UAN number, current EPF account number linked with the UAN number, and your KYC details such as bank account number, IFSC code, Aadhaar number, PAN card number handy.
2. All these details must be verified and approved by your current employer.
Now, start the process by heading to www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/ and follow the steps below.
- Go to the main menu and click on ‘Our Services’ tab to access ‘For Employee’ services.
- Click on ‘One Employee – One EPF Account’ listed under the services tab.
- Input the required details to generate OTP.
- Enter the OTP you receive on your registered mobile number linked with the UAN to come to the enter EPF ID page.
- Now input your old EPF ID, accept the declaration and click ‘submit’. Your IDs will be linked and you will get an intimation of the same on your registered mobile number.
UAN numbers are a good way to keep your PF funds handy and will help you keep your money secured all through your career until you feel the need to partially or fully withdraw it. Also, adopting this digital route allows you to maintain and supervise your money comfortably using the UAN portal and app.
What did you dislike?
What did you dislike?
What did you like?
What did you like?
What did you like?