The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship of India (MSDE) launched the National Policy on Skill Development (NPSD) 2009 that covers several programmes that aim to offer skill development courses to the youth of India. In 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi revised these programmes in lieu of the skill development policy and launched a new programme called ‘Skill India’.
Nearly half of India’s population is under the age of 25 years. Through the Skill India mission, the government aims to offer holistic human resource development programme to make the most of this demographic advantage and boost the nation’s economy. To achieve this goal, Skill India, a multi-skills scheme, aims to provide training and skill development to over 10 million Indian youths by 2020. Here’s more about the Skill India programme, its mission, initiatives, courses and training centres.
Mission of Skill India Programme
The Skill India mission is to achieve focused results by 2020 and, to do so, it has laid out a few objectives, which are as follows:
- Create opportunities and scope for talent development for the Indian youth by offering them specific Skill India courses
- Boosting the sectors that are already part of the skill development module based on the earlier skill development scheme
- Identifying new areas for training and skill development
Schemes and initiatives of Skill India
The Skill India mission has launched the following schemes and initiatives:
- Polytechnic schemes
- Vocationalisation of education
- National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, 2015
- Skill development for minorities
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- Ministry-wise skill development schemes
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra
- National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
- Scheme for Higher Education Youth in Apprenticeship and Skills
- Green Skill Development Programme
- Financial Assistance for Skill Training of Persons with Disabilities
- Craftsmen Training Scheme
- Apprenticeship training (South Central Railway)
- National Qualifications Register
Skill India course list
Following is the Skill India course list where various programmes are offered under different heads:
- Entrepreneurship development programmes including Women EDP, CRR Scheme for CPSUs, and others.
- Entrepreneurship cum Skill Development Programmes (ESDPs) and Training of trainers programmes including bakery products, AC, refrigerator and water cooler repair, CAD/ CAM, catering, computer accounting with tally, cyber café, glass cutting and polishing, heat treatment, gaming with flash, lens grinding, microprocessor application and programming, machining and Microsoft C, amongst others.
- Training of trainers including an ESDP in fashion designing, Technology Infusion cum Skill Development Programme, and others.
- Management development programmes like Advanced Skills for Effective Executive Secretaries and Change Management, Business Development Plan for Micro and Small Enterprises, Contemporary Human Resource Management Practices, Extension Motivation Programme for Executives, Competency Building for Improved Performance, Cost Effectiveness in Economic Downturn, Delayed Payments to MSEs, Executive Development Programme on Achievement Motivation Training, and others.
- Other Skill India courses like Financing and Management of CFCs, Orientation Programme for Officials of Industries and Commerce Department, Promotion of Micro-Enterprises, Risk Management for SHGs, Orientation Programme for Officials of Industries and Commerce Department, as well as others.
Training centres of the Skill India programme
The programme has an exhaustive Training Partner (TP) network comprising over 450 affiliates, 38 industry-led Sector Skill Councils (SSCs), and a range of enabling systems and initiatives. NSDC singlehandedly supports profitable vocational training institutions across the country to enrich them and nurture them to newer heights. However, bear in mind that to enrol as a training partner or centre you have to meet certain terms and conditions.
If your desired course is not among the skill development courses list, consider enrolling for it with a reputed (institution,) nevertheless. Doing this will add to your employability and offer plenty of opportunities for career growth. To finance your course conveniently, avail a loan against property from Bajaj Finserv. Here, you can access a high-value sanction of up to Rs. 5 crore at a nominal rate, which you can repay over a flexible tenor of up to 18 years. What’s more, the simple eligibility criteria and minimal documentation make for speedy approval and quick disbursal of funds within 4 days! However, be sure to check your pre-approved offer to qualify via a customised deal and access financing even faster.
While care is taken to update the information, products, and services included in or available on our website and related platforms/websites, there may be inadvertent inaccuracies or typographical errors or delays in updating the information. The material contained in this site, and on associated web pages, is for reference and general information purpose and the details mentioned in the respective product/service document shall prevail in case of any inconsistency. Subscribers and users should seek professional advice before acting on the basis of the information contained herein. Please take an informed decision with respect to any product or service after going through the relevant product/service document and applicable terms and conditions. In case any inconsistencies observed, please click on reach us.
*Terms and conditions apply