After making the necessary GST payments, you will know whether you will receive a refund or not. If eligible, you will have to file for the reimbursement using the GST refund Form RFD-01. However, as simple as it may sound, the GST refund process is technical. Moreover, a delay or incorrect filing will lead to a rejection of your refund request. Thus, follow the terms and conditions of the GST refund and file the form accurately and on time.
What is the GST refund process?
To simplify the process of GST refund, the income tax authorities have translated it into an online process. This means you can claim a refund online using your registered GST account anytime within two years from the relevant date. However, the relevant date differs based on the condition of your claim. So, abide by the GST refund dates as mentioned below to claim your refunds on time.
- If you are claiming a refund for excess payment of GST, your date of payment becomes the relevant date.
- If you are claiming a refund for export or deemed export of goods or services, the date of despatch/ loading/ passing the frontier becomes the relevant date.
- If ITC accumulated as output is tax-exempt or nil, the last date of the financial year to which the credit belongs becomes the relevant date.
- If you pay excess basis the finalisation of provisional assessment, the date on which tax is adjusted becomes the relevant date.
Additional read: What taxes has GST replaced?
When can the refund be claimed?
Here’s when you can claim a GST refund:
- Due to mistakes or omissions, excess tax is paid
- Dealer and deemed export goods or services under the claim of refund or rebate
- Purchases made by UN bodies or embassies can be refunded
- ITC accumulation due to output being tax-exempt or nil-rated
- Finalisation of provisional assessment
- International tourists get a tax refund
What is the time limit for claiming the refund?
|Reason for claiming GST Refund||Relevant Date|
|Excess payment of GST||Date of payment|
|Export or deemed export of goods or services||Date of dispatch/ loading/ passing the frontier|
|ITC accumulates as output is tax-exempt or nil-rated||Last date of the financial year to which the credit belongs|
|Finalisation of provisional assessment||The Date on which tax is adjusted|
How to calculate GST refund
Computing your GST refund is easy, and you need to subtract the excess you have paid against the total dues you were supposed to pay. This simple calculation will reveal the amount you have been charged or have paid in excess. Once you know the amount, you can claim a refund within the refund processing timeline based on the type of claim you are making.
Keep in mind that you will receive Form RFD-03 if case the authorities find any discrepancy in your refund application. Otherwise, when you file a GST refund, and it gets verified successfully, you will receive Form RFD-02 acknowledgement.
Thanks to the online process, the present GST refund process is effective and highly organised. Following the process elaborated above will help you receive refunds directly in your bank account within 30 days of applying. However, be very particular about the details you mention in the refund form, as once your application is received, it goes through rounds of audit and scrutiny. Steer clear of errors and submit your GST refund application within its deadline to receive faster refunds.
While care is taken to update the information, products, and services included in or available on our website and related platforms/websites, there may be inadvertent inaccuracies or typographical errors or delays in updating the information. The material contained in this site, and on associated web pages, is for reference and general information purpose and the details mentioned in the respective product/service document shall prevail in case of any inconsistency. Subscribers and users should seek professional advice before acting on the basis of the information contained herein. Please take an informed decision with respect to any product or service after going through the relevant product/service document and applicable terms and conditions. In case any inconsistencies observed, please click on reach us.
*Terms and conditions apply