The Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS), introduced in 2007 by the Ministry of Rural Development as part of the National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP), is a non-contributory pension scheme. Its goal is to provide social support to eligible senior citizens in India by offering them a monthly pension. This scheme has positively impacted the lives of over 2 crore Indians, primarily assisting those from the Below Poverty Line (BPL) category. Beneficiaries are selected based on criteria set by the Ministry of Rural Development, ensuring that the scheme reaches those in genuine need. Through IGNOAPS, the government aims to offer a measure of financial security and dignity to older adults in need.
Benefits of IGNOAPS
Here are the benefits provided to the eligible individuals:
Rs. 200 per month
60 -79 years
Rs. 500 per month
80 years or above
- The individual must be an Indian citizen.
- The individual is living below the poverty line.
- The individual must be 60 years old or above.
How to apply for IGNOAPS
- Download UMANG App or visit official UMANG website.
- Log in using mobile number and OTP.
- Navigate to NSAP section.
- Click on "Apply Online".
- Fill in basic details.
- Choose pension payment mode.
- Upload a photo.
- Click "Submit" to complete the application.
- Completed and self-attested application form
- Domicile certificate
- Address proof (Voter ID/ electricity bill/ Aadhar card)
- Birth certificate
- Aadhar card
- Bank passbook
- Ration card
- An affidavit, duly attested by a Judicial Magistrate/Executive Magistrate, confirming that the applicant is not receiving any pension or financial assistance from any other source.
How to check IGNOAPS application status?
- Go to the NSAP website.
- Click on the 'Report' option on the homepage.
- Choose “Pension Payment Details” under the “Beneficiary Search, track, and payment details” tab.
- Select “Sanction Order No/ Application No” option.
- Enter the “Sanction order/ Application number” and “Code”, then click the “Submit” button.
The application status will be displayed on the screen.
Other Schemes included in NSAP
- Indira Gandhi National Widow Pension Scheme (IGNWPS)
- Indira Gandhi National Disability Pension Scheme (IGNDPS)
- National Family Benefit Scheme (NFBS)
- Annapurna Scheme
Implementation of IGNOAPS
In both rural and urban areas, the IGNOAPS is carried out by the Social Welfare Departments of the respective states. In rural regions, beneficiaries are chosen from the BPL list, following the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Rural Development for the BPL census 2002. In urban areas, eligible beneficiaries are identified based on the BPL list required to be prepared under the poverty alleviation program of the Ministry of Urban Housing and Poverty Alleviation.
The Central Government fully supports the states/UTs in providing IGNOAPS benefits, and the pension amount is deposited into the beneficiary's post office or bank account based on the provided information.
The Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) is an initiative that plays a vital role in supporting the elderly in India. It is specially designed for senior citizens who lack a steady income and come from families living below the poverty line. By providing a monthly pension, the scheme seeks to safeguard the financial well-being and security of these older adults. This thoughtful gesture helps ensure that they can cover their basic necessities and enjoy a life of dignity in their later years.