Ayushman Bharat Yojana, also known as the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), is a scheme that aims to help the economically weaker section of society who needs healthcare facilities.
The PMJAY scheme was rolled out by the Prime Minister on September 23, 2018. This health insurance scheme covers about fifty crore citizens in India. Ayushman card already has several success stories to its credit.
The Ayushman Bharat Yojana - National Health Protection Scheme has now been renamed Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana. This plans to make secondary and tertiary healthcare completely cashless for the underprivileged section of society. The PM Jan Arogya Yojana beneficiaries get an Ayushman card to avail of services at an empanelled hospital, public, or private, anywhere in the country. With the PMJAY scheme, you can enjoy the benefit of walking into a hospital and obtaining cashless treatment.
About Ayushman Bharat scheme and card (PMJAY)
PMJAY provides Rs. 5 lakh coverage to every family per year, thus helping the economically disadvantaged access healthcare services easily. Given below are the key details about the Ayushman Bharat Yojana:
Launch date for PMJAY
September 23, 2018
Coverage (per family)
Rs. 5 lakh/year
Pre-hospitalisation expenses coverage
Up to 3 days
Post-hospitalisation expenses coverage
Up to 15 days
PMJAY health cover categories: Eligibility criteria for rural and urban
The PMJAY scheme aims to provide healthcare to ten crore families. These mostly include the poor and people with lower middle income, through a health insurance scheme covering Rs. 5 lakh per family. The ten crore families comprise eight crore families in rural areas and 2.33 crore families in urban areas. Broken into smaller units, this means that the scheme will aim to cater to 50 crore individual beneficiaries.
To qualify, applicants must belong to one of the specified categories: SC/ST, Lower Income Group, or EWS. You can ascertain your Ayushman card eligibility by utilising the ‘Am I Eligible’ feature on the official website.
However, the scheme has certain pre-conditions by which it picks who can avail of the health cover benefit. While in the rural areas, the list is mostly categorised on lack of housing, meagre income, and other deprivations.
The 71st round of the National Sample Survey Organisation reveals that a staggering 85.9% of rural households do not have access to any healthcare insurance or assurance. Additionally, 24% of rural families access healthcare facilities by borrowing money. Ayushman Bharat Yojana aims to help this sector by providing yearly assistance of up to Rs. 5 lakh per family. The scheme will aid economically disadvantaged families as per data in the Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011. Here too, households enrolled under the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) will come under the ambit of the PM Jan Arogya Yojana.
In the rural areas, the PMJAY health cover is available to:
- Those living in scheduled caste and scheduled tribe households
- Beggars and those surviving on alms
- Families with no individuals aged between 16 and 59 years
- Families having at least one physically challenged member and no able-bodied adult member
- Landless households who make a living by working as casual manual labourers
- Primitive tribal communities
- Legally released bonded labourers
- Families living in one-room makeshift houses with no proper walls or roof
- Manual scavenger families
According to the National Sample Survey Organisation (71st round), 82% of urban households do not have health insurance. Further, 18% of Indians in urban areas have addressed healthcare expenses by borrowing money in one form or the other. Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana helps these households avail of healthcare services by providing funding of up to Rs. 5 lakh per family per year. PMJAY will benefit urban workers’ families in the occupational category present in the Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011. Further, any family enrolled under the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana will benefit from the PM Jan Arogya Yojana.
In the urban areas, those who can avail of the government-sponsored scheme consist mainly of:
- Washerman/ watchmen
- Rag pickers
- Mechanics, electricians, repair workers
- Domestic help
- Sanitation workers, gardeners, sweepers
- Home-based artisans, or handicraft workers, tailors
- Cobblers, hawkers, and other services provided on streets or pavements
- Plumbers, masons, construction workers, porters, welders, painters, and security guards
- Transport workers like drivers, conductors, helpers, cart, or rickshaw pullers
- Assistants, peons in small establishments, delivery boys, shopkeepers, and waiters
People not entitled to health cover under Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana:
- Those who own a two, three or four-wheeler or a motorised fishing boat
- Those who own mechanised farming equipment
- Those who have kisan cards with a credit limit of Rs. 50000
- Those employed by the government
- Those who work in government-managed non-agricultural enterprises
- Those earning a monthly income above Rs. 10000
- Those owning refrigerators and landlines
- Those with decent, solidly built houses
- Those owning 5 acres or more of agricultural land
While not everyone is entitled to these government schemes, getting health, motor or other general insurance policies may not be suitable for all pockets. Thus, Bajaj Finance brings insurance and subscription plans affordable for all.
How to check Ayushman Bharat Yojana eligibility online
To verify your eligibility for Ayushman Bharat online, adhere to the following steps:
Step 1: Go to the official website of Ayushman Bharat Yojana at https://www.pmjay.gov.in/
Step 2: Access the "Am I Eligible" section on the homepage.
Step 3: Input your mobile number and captcha code on the subsequent page, then click the "Generate OTP" button.
Step 4: Enter the OTP received on your mobile and click the "Verify OTP" button.
Step 5: On the subsequent page, furnish essential information such as name, state, age, family members, and income details.
Step 6: Once all details are entered, click the "Submit" button.