Online Trading is a method that facilitates buying and selling of financial instruments such as mutual funds, equities, bonds, Sovereign gold bonds, derivatives, stocks, ETFs and commodities through an electronic interface.
Online Trading has simplified a complex process into a few clicks.
A couple of decades ago, a buyer or seller had to reach out to a broker on the phone or physically to execute a trade, that demanded significant effort and time. Previously, a broker had access to modify and execute the trades. With online trading, the control is in your hand. This has ensured a better user experience and transparency.
Is it safe to trade online?
Trading online can be safe if you take the right precautions. Here are some safety measures to ensure a worry-free online trading experience:
- Know your stockbroker: Research your chosen online trading platform thoroughly. Before sharing any personal information, investigate the platform and do not ignore any red flags. You can refer to the list of Demat account providers on the official websites of NSDL and CDSL to verify the legitimacy of your broker.
- Enter the web address manually: To avoid falling victim to fake or look-alike websites created by scammers, type the web address of your online trading platform directly into the address bar. This helps ensure you're visiting the official and secure website.
- Check for SSL protection: Look for a small padlock icon in the address bar of the online stock trading platform. This icon indicates that the website is protected by a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Certification, which is crucial for encrypting data and maintaining a secure connection between your device and the platform.
By following these safety measures, you can significantly reduce the risks associated with online trading and focus on making informed investments. It's essential to be cautious, well-informed, and attentive to the security of your chosen trading platform to trade online safely.
How to Trade Online?
With the stock market popularity sky-rocketing every day, more people are jumping into the race however, only a few thrive in the longer run. The reason is simple: Discipline. Certain attributes must be cultivated to succeed in share trading. Let us understand them in brief:
Step 1: Selecting a stockbroker
Research different brokers, comparing fees, trading tools, customer support, and educational resources. It's also essential to consider the types of securities they offer access to, such as stocks, options, or commodities.
Step 2: Open a Demat and trading Account
First things first, one needs to apply for a Demat and trading account with a Depository Participant & Stockbroker and complete the documentation process (PAN, Aadhar, etc.) to begin online trading.
Step 3: Knowledge and analysis are key
The stock market is not a get-quick-rich scheme. One needs to gain knowledge about the financial markets. There are several courses on the internet which teach basics to advance.
Step 4: Strategy & psychology
Before you start investing real money, it is recommended to practice with a demo trading account. This empowers you to get familiar with price dynamics and develop a trading strategy. While spending more time in the market, you can nurture a strong mental resolve needed to trade in the ever-fluctuating stock market.
Carefully plan your investments by allocating your capital wisely to specific companies. Successful stock trading, which is a long-term endeavor, demands thorough groundwork.
Additional Read: How to Start Online Trading
Benefits of online trading
Online trading offers several benefits:
- Simple and convenient process: Online trading provides an easy and convenient way to buy and sell financial instruments. You can place trades from the comfort of your home or office, eliminating the need to visit a physical brokerage. Online platforms are user-friendly and often provide research tools to aid your decision-making.
- Less expensive: Online trading tends to have lower fees and commissions compared to traditional brokerage services. This cost-effectiveness can save you money in the long run, especially if you frequently trade.
- Complete control: Online trading gives you full control over your investment decisions. You can execute trades at your preferred time, set your own strategies, and manage your portfolio without relying on a broker's assistance.
- Monitor investments all the time: Online platforms enable you to monitor your investments in real-time. You can access account information, check stock prices, and track market developments at any moment, allowing you to make timely decisions based on up-to-the-minute data.
How does online trading work?
Back in the old days, every share which was purchased or sold had to be documented physically making it a tedious activity with enormous dependency on the broker. A physical paper trail had its share of risks in terms of damage, loss, or forgery. Online trading, however, has resolved most of these concerns.
Understanding the journey of an online trade:
- A buy/ sell order is initiated by the investor on Demat & Trading Account.
- Once a relevant match is found, the trade is executed.
- After execution, a trade confirmation is sent by the stockbroker to their clients.
- Then, the clearing process is initiated by clearing member/ clearing corporation.
- The Clearing Corporation settles the trade-in T+1 day (T= Date the order was placed, 1 day = 1 Working Day) and credits the shares in the Demat account of the buyer.
- After the trade, the next step is to fulfill the financial obligations. This includes making sure buyers pay for the stocks they've purchased, and sellers receive the money for their sales.
- Once the buyer has received the securities, and the seller has received the money, the trade is considered settled.
- After all these steps are followed, the shares are transferred to the buyer's Demat account through depositories, and the money from selling the shares is credited to the seller's account.
Online Trading vs. Offline Trading
- Convenience: Online trading is conducted through internet-based trading platforms offered by brokerage firms. It allows investors to buy and sell financial instruments from the comfort of their homes or offices, offering convenience and flexibility.
- Speed: Online trading is generally faster than offline trading. Orders can be executed instantly during functional trading hours, and investors can react quickly to market changes.
- Cost-efficient: Online trading often has lower brokerage fees and commissions compared to traditional offline trading methods. This can result in cost savings for investors.
- Access to information: Online traders have access to real-time market information, research tools, and historical data. This information is easily accessible, aiding informed decision-making.
- Control: Investors have complete control over their trades, with the ability to place orders, track portfolios, and manage investments independently.
- Manual process: Offline trading involves placing orders through physical visits to a broker's office or via telephone calls. It is a more manual process.
- Slower execution: Trades may take longer to execute in offline trading due to the involvement of intermediaries, such as brokers.
- Higher costs: Commissions and fees in offline trading are typically higher than those in online trading, making it a costlier option.
- Limited information: Offline traders may have limited access to real-time market information and research tools. This can hinder their ability to make well-informed decisions.
- Reliance on intermediaries: In offline trading, investors often rely on brokers to place and manage their trades, reducing the level of control they have over their investments.
Things to Remember Before You Start Online Trading
- Demat and Trading Account is mandatory
- Choose the broker that meets your requirements
- Research thoroughly and analyse before taking trades
- Practice through demo trading accounts to test various strategies.
Benefits of Online Trading
- Online trading is cost, time, and effort efficient. It saves energy and brokerage fee
- Complete control over order placement and portfolio management
- Tracking every stock and their returns in your portfolio is hassle-free
- With lightning-fast payment gateways like UPI etc. fund transfer is swift and convenient
- Secured trading with transparency
Additional Read: What is Demat Account
Choose the Right Trading Platforms for Online Trading in India
The options available for online trading are aplenty however, you need to choose the right one and let us assist you in identifying the parameters to choose the right platform.
Simple and Easy to Use Interface
The most important aspect of choosing a broking agency is to check how simple is the platform and how uncomplicated is the user interface. You will be spending considerable time on the platform, and it should be simple enough for you to navigate.
Low Brokerage Fees
It is important to compare the brokerage fees of various broking agencies and then select one. As you will take multiple trades in the process the brokerage fees will turn out to be a concern, in the long run, thus, choosing the right platform, in the beginning, can save you a lot.
There are various financial instruments on which you can trade in a stock market. It is important for the platform you choose to have diverse options available which simply means to allow you to provide access to all kinds of instruments. E.g., Bajaj Financial Securities Limited provides you with best-in-class interest rates for Margin Trade Financing (MTF).
Speed is critical for online trading, and this can be achieved only through apex technology. Technology is also critical to upholding the security requirements of a user and this should be non-negotiable.
Online trading has transformed the complex and time-consuming process of trading into a few simple clicks. The days of physically reaching out to a broker are long gone, replaced by the convenience of making financial decisions from the comfort of your own space.
This digital shift has not only streamlined the trading process but also handed over control to the individual investor.
However, safety should always be a priority when trading online. With the right broker, the appropriate accounts, market insights, and practice, investors can embark on a path to long-term investment success. Choose a user-friendly, cost-effective, and technologically advanced trading platform to make your journey even more rewarding.
Demat account – Subscription plans
Click here to open a Demat Account with Bajaj Financial Securities Limited
Bajaj Privilege Club
Free for 1st year; Rs. 431 p.a. 2nd year onwards
Rs. 2,500 p.a.
Rs. 9,999 p.a.
Brokerage charges (Intraday, Future & Options)
Rs. 20 per order
Rs. 10 per order
Rs. 5 per order
Margin Trading Fund Interest Rate