To start trading online, you need to open a Demat and trading account with a stockbroker. After opening a Demat account, you can add money by logging in to your bank account. The best share trading platform allows you to view stock prices, historical data, charts and enables you to buy and sell shares in India. Explained below are the steps on how to start trading online in India:
Four steps to start online trading in India
1. Choose an online broker
The first step will be to find an online stockbroker. They provide you with the facility to open a Demat and trading account. A trading account helps you place a buy or sell order in the stock market, whereas a Demat account stores the shares you buy in a digital format.
While choosing a stockbroker, check the Demat and trading account opening charges and the Demat annual maintenance charges (AMC). Bajaj Financial Securities Limited provides you with an option to open a free* Demat and trading account with zero account opening charges and zero AMC for 1st year through its Freedom Pack (AMC of Rs. 431 per annum is applicable from the second year onwards).
Next, you must check the brokerage charges. The broker charges a brokerage fee whenever an order placed in the stock market gets executed. This fee can depend on the trading volume of your order, or it can be a flat fee per trade irrespective of the trading volume. Traditional brokers levy percentage-based brokerage proportional to the trade volume, which increases the brokerage costs if you trade more often. With a flat fee per order, you can save significantly on brokerage costs. Bajaj Financial Securities offers a flat fee per trade which can save you big on the brokerage charges.
2. Open demat and trading account
To open a Demat and trading account, you need to fill an online account opening form with the broker. The form filling process is easy, and you can complete it in less than 15 minutes. With Bajaj Financial Securities, you can open an account by following the below steps:
- Visit the account opening form link.
- Enter your basic details, such as name, email id, PAN No, DOB, etc.
- Provide your address and bank details.
- Upload documents related to your proof of identity and proof of address.
- Please choose from our affordable subscription plans. If you want to open a free* account, you can select the Freedom Plan.
- Perform a self-verification by recording a short video of yourself and submitting it.
- E-sign your form through the OTP sent on your Aadhar linked mobile number.
- Submit the application, and you will receive a confirmation regarding your account opening and login credentials in a short duration.
3. Login to your Demat/ trading account and add money
Once you have your Demat and trading account login and password, you can log in to your account and explore the trading platform. If you have signed up with us, you can download our mobile trading app for a seamless trading experience.
Now that your account is created, you can add money from your bank account to your trading account. Note that you can also transfer money from your trading account to your bank account.
4. View stock details and start trading
Now you are ready to get started with online trading in india. You can view the live market prices of shares in your trading account. You can select a share and view its in-depth detail, historical prices, charts, etc. Once you are through your analyses, you can start buying shares and start your investment journey.
*Account opening is free for Freedom Pack, with zero subscription charges for 1st year & Rs. 431 p.a. from the second year.
Benefits of online trading
Online trading offers numerous advantages for investors:
- No middlemen: Online trading eliminates the need for middlemen, brokers, or agents. Investors can directly access stock markets from the convenience of their homes or offices.
- Paperwork simplification: It eradicates paperwork, making buying and selling stocks a hassle-free process.
- Reduced costs: Online trading cuts out commissions typically charged by brokers, reducing the overall cost of investing.
- Educational resources: Most online brokers offer free educational resources, enabling investors to better understand the markets and develop effective trading strategies.
- Diversification: Online trading provides the opportunity to make well-informed financial decisions and diversify investments while keeping costs in check.
How to start trading online
Starting online trading, even as a novice, is relatively straightforward:
- Open a Demat and trading account, deposit funds, and begin trading through a broker's online platform.
- Remember to declare all profits from online trading for taxation purposes.
- Utilise trading platforms offering real-time data, stop-loss orders, and margin accounts to enhance your trading experience.
How to choose stocks for trading
Efficient stock trading requires various analysis methods, including fundamental and technical analysis:
- Fundamental analysis: This involves evaluating a company's valuation, key ratios, and intrinsic value. If a stock's market price exceeds its intrinsic value, consider waiting for a price drop. Conversely, if the market price is lower than intrinsic value, it may be a buying opportunity.
- Technical analysis: Analyse price trends and trading volume through charts and indicators like Bollinger bands, MACD, and candlestick charts to forecast price direction.
- Conduct due diligence by reading news, researching companies, and seeking broker recommendations before investing.
How to open a trading account online
Opening a trading account online involves several steps:
- Choose a reliable brokerage partner by checking reviews, ensuring they handle high volumes efficiently, and provide timely information.
- Examine brokerage costs, including flat fees or a percentage of trading volume, to make an informed decision.
- Complete an online Demat account opening form with details like PAN number, bank information, identity and address proof, and date of birth. E-sign the document sent to your registered mobile number.
- After receiving login credentials, access the trading platform to execute trades.