Employees who are looking to change or have joined a new company, understanding the process of transferring Provident Fund (PF) from the previous to the current employer is very important. In this article, we will provide information on PF transfer forms, downloading procedures, online and offline PF transfer. Understanding these aspects will help ensure a smooth transfer of PF and minimise any inconvenience.
EPF Form 13 is a transfer form provided by Employees' Provident Fund Organisation, which is available both online and offline. Just fill out the PF Transfer Form 13 and submit it to initiate the EPF account transfer.
Calculation of Provident Fund on salary
To understand this better, consider these two crucial factors:
- EPF account (Employee Provident Fund): This is the account where both the employee and employer make equal contributions of the employee’s basic salary.
- EPS account (Employee Pension scheme): In this account, your employer puts in some money from the total EPF amount they are supposed to contribute.
The Provident Fund deduction from salary is 12%, with both employer and employee contributing equally.
Employee's entire 12% goes to the EPF account, while the employer contributes 3.67% to EPF and 8.33% to the EPS account.
Employers' total 12% contribution is divided between EPF (3.67%) and EPS (8.33%).
Steps for PF transfer online
- Log in to the EPFO members portal using your UAN number and password.
- After login, select 'One Member – One EPF Account (Transfer Request)' under online services.
- Verify personal information and PF account for present employment.
- Click on ‘Get details’ to view PF account details of previous employment.
- Choose either previous or current employer for claim attestation based on authorised signatory availability.
- Click on 'Get OTP', enter the received OTP, and click on 'Submit'.
- After submission, note the tracking ID and PF account details. Take a printout of Form 13 and sign it.'
- Submit the signed form to your employer within 10 days for further processing and approval by both the employer and EPFO.
- Once approved you will receive a confirmation SMS for the same.
Offline process for PF transfer
- Complete the printed Form 13 in detail and submit it to the current employer.
- The current employer then submits the form to the EPF office, which then sends it to the applicant’s previous employer for verification and attestation.
- Upon receiving the verified and attested copy from the previous employer, the EPF office initiates the transfer of the balance from the previous EPF account to a new EPF account.
- In the offline PF transfer method, the applicant is not required to provide their UAN and Aadhaar Card number.
- UAN (Universal Account Number), provided by EPFO, serves as a single identification number for multiple employee IDs given to the same individual.
Information or documents to prepare before online PF transfer
Before initiating the online PF transfer through the 'Unified Portal, website' ensure the following:
- Activate UAN on the EPF portal, and ensure the mobile number used for activation should be active.
- Link your bank account and IFSC code to your UAN. It is not mandatory to link Aadhar number and PAN to UAN for transfer claims.
- Ensure the employer has approved the e-KYC.
- Confirm that the previous/current employer has digitally registered authorised signatories in EPFO.
- Enter the PF account number for both previous and current employment in the EPFO database.
- Check that your personal details and PF account information in EPFO are accurate.