If you are an Indian citizen, your PAN card is an essential document. It is a unique identifier issued by the Income Tax Department and is critical to filing your taxes.
Therefore, it is vital to have all details accurately mentioned on your PAN card. This way, you can benefit from services such as investments, buying high-value jewellery, or even linking your PAN card to your bank account.
Details such as your name and your father’s name, your photograph, date of birth and your signature are critical pieces of information associated with your PAN. And having any of these details incorrectly published can throw up several challenges.
Fortunately, there are ways to complete such changes online and offline. Here is how you should go about it.
How to change details on your PAN card
You can change your PAN card details in two ways:
Offline method: To make changes to details on your PAN card, you will need to visit the nearest NSDL collection centre. Take a PAN correction form, fill in the correct information and submit it along with the relevant documents. You will also need to file a letter with the jurisdictional assessing officer.
Online method: To change your PAN details online, log onto the official PAN card website or click here.
Under the application type, select the last option that is related to PAN correction.
- Fill out all personal details accurately. After you click on the ‘Submit’ button, you will get a token number on the next page. The same will be sent to your email address on the previous page.
- On the next page, click on the option ‘Submit scanned images through e-Sign’ as your preferred way of providing document proof.
- Then, in the PAN field, enter the PAN for which you wish to request changes. While filling the form, ensure that you don’t skip any mandatory fields (marked with an asterisk) and check the relevant boxes in the left margin against the details that have to be changed.
- After you have completed this, enter the address where you want your new PAN card delivered.
- Then, click on ‘Next’ and upload your proof of birth, identity and residence. After completing this step, proceed to make the payment. If the PAN card is issued to an address within India, you will need to pay Rs. 110. On the other hand, if you need it at an overseas address, the fee is Rs. 1,020.
- Next, download the acknowledgement. Save and print it to send it to the NSDL office.
- If you are an individual, you will need to affix two photographs with your signature partly on the photograph and partly on the acknowledgement form. If you are submitting it on behalf of a company or firm, the form will require the signature of an authorised person.
- You will also have to submit a copy of the relevant documents again.
- Mention ‘Application for PAN change request’ with your acknowledgement number on the envelope and mail it to the NSDL office in Pune.
Having multiple PAN cards can land you in serious legal trouble. If another PAN card is attached to your name due to an administrative error, you must surrender it immediately to avoid legal charges and action.
On the other hand, having incorrect details on your PAN card will complicate even the simplest tasks, such as transferring funds or completing your KYC for loans and other products.
In either case, ensure you keep track of your PAN and take remedial action in case of any discrepancies.
While care is taken to update the information, products, and services included in or available on our website and related platforms/websites, there may be inadvertent inaccuracies or typographical errors or delays in updating the information. The material contained in this site, and on associated web pages, is for reference and general information purpose and the details mentioned in the respective product/service document shall prevail in case of any inconsistency. Subscribers and users should seek professional advice before acting on the basis of the information contained herein. Please take an informed decision with respect to any product or service after going through the relevant product/service document and applicable terms and conditions. In case any inconsistencies observed, please click on reach us.
*Terms and conditions apply