The engine is an essential component in your car and any damage can lead to hefty repair bills, draining your savings.
Thus, opting for an engine protection cover can help you overcome such situations. A car insurance policy with engine protection cover gives you financial coverage against any losses or damages caused to the engine.
What is an engine protection cover?
The car engine may sustain damages due to oil leakage or water ingress. Also, the engine parts may get damaged or have a malfunctioning gearbox. An engine protection cover gives you coverage for repair or replacement costs for such damages. You can avail of this add-on cover with a comprehensive car insurance policy to reap the benefits.
Benefits of engine protection add-on cover
Below are a few points that explain the importance of an engine protection cover in a car insurance policy:
· Your insurance policy may not cover your car’s engine
Standard car insurance policies may not cover engine damage. But you can get it as an add-on cover to get coverage for engine damage. An engine protection add-on plan will cover the costs associated with repairing or replacing the engine system. This helps the policyholder save a considerable amount of money that he/ she would otherwise spend on engine servicing.
· Beneficial for areas prone to flood
The chances of engine damage increase significantly in areas prone to floods. This is because of water ingress risks and other issues are also high in such areas. Therefore, an engine protection cover in car insurance can be helpful for vehicle owners residing in such areas.
· An engine is the most expensive part of a vehicle
The repair or replacement cost of engine parts, such as crankshaft, piston, cylinders, etc. can be quite hefty. And it does not even include the cost of metal and plastic parts. With just a comprehensive car insurance policy, you would have to bear the entire repair or replacement cost. With an engine protection add-on cover, the entire cost of engine repair and replacement gets covered.
Key inclusions of engine protection cover
Here’s a list of things that get covered under the engine protection add-on cover in car insurance plans:
- Lubricant oil leakage
- Gearbox damage
- Car engine damage
- Hydrostatic lock damages
- Water ingression
- Cost of consumables
- Car undercarriage damages
Key exclusions of engine protection cover
Along with the inclusions, policyholders should also know the issues that do not get covered under engine protection coverage:
- Force starting a car's engine
- Water inundation
- Regular wear and tear
- Consequential damage
- Damages covered by the manufacturer
Things to keep in mind when buying the engine protection cover
Read below the things that you must know before buying engine protection cover.
- You cannot buy the engine protect cover in car insurance for cars older than five years.
- You can buy the add-on cover with a comprehensive car insurance plan or own damage car insurance. You cannot avail the add-on cover if you have a third-party insurance only.
- Engine protect cover in car insurance comes at an additional premium. Therefore, you may need to pay an additional amount to get the add-on cover.
- You can make up to two claims under the engine protection cover. The number of claims may differ from insurer to insurer. Therefore, read the terms and conditions of the cover.
Who should buy the engine protection add-on cover?
Here’s who can benefit from getting this add-on cover.
- The add-on cover benefits those who own a luxury car. Repair or replacement costs of the engine in luxury cars are expensive. Engine protection cover gives coverage against the repair or replacement cost.
- People living in a flood-prone area can benefit from this add-on cover. As chances of the engine getting damaged due to floods are high.
- Engine protection cover acts as an additional layer on your comprehensive car insurance policy. You get adequate financial coverage for damage caused to the engine.