Why do you need a bike repair tool kit?
Your bicycle needs periodic servicing to ensure a trouble-free riding experience regardless of which type of cyclist you are. While on a ride, your bike might encounter a breakdown, and you can get stranded. Therefore, it is advisable to carry your bike tool kit for such sudden emergencies. Cycle Insurance helps you to stay financially secure against repair/replacement costs.
Here’s all you need to know about bike servicing
Like any mechanical device, some parts of your bicycle like the sprocket, brake pads, tyres get worn out over time. It is a good practice to check your bike before every ride as a precautionary measure. Here are some aspects that you should be check:
- Check the air pressure in both the tyres. If the tyres are not correctly inflated, the chances of getting a puncture are higher.
- Brakes are easily the most crucial part of any vehicle. Check if the brake pads are not worn out and replace them when necessary. The new-age bicycles with gears make it easy to gain speeds quickly, making it all the more important to keep your brakes well maintained. Sometimes, tightening the screws will bring the pads closer to the rim and help apply the brakes effectively. Also, keep the brake pads and rims clean.
- Ensure that the chain of your bicycle is clean and appropriately lubricated. It is especially vital to maintain it during the monsoon.
- A quick check of nuts and bolts is necessary
When do you need bike repair?
Your bike often gives specific signs that indicate it requires servicing. Some of the most common ones are:
- A squeaking chain: Indicates dryness and inadequate lubrication
- Grinding sound: It comes from the gears, indicating that they need an alignment.
- Hard to Brake: Brakes should be adjusted correctly, or you should change brake pads.
- Frequent chain slippage: This means your bicycle’s derailleurs require an adjustment.
- Rattles and creaks: An early investigation and fixing are advisable to avoid any major breakdown later.
Top 10 bike repairing tools
- Floor pump with pressure gauge
A weekly check of the tyre pressure is a must. The rear tyre should have more pressure than the front one as it takes most of the rider’s weight. These days a wide range of pumps are available in the market. Try to go for a portable one; so that you can carry it on your rides.
- Puncture repair kit
A puncture can happen any time, especially when you’re on a long ride. Hence, carrying a puncture repair kit will help you get out of a sticky situation. Make sure that the kit includes round and rectangular patches, metal rasps, tyre levers, and a valve core wrench.
- Allen key
An Allen key is a small tool to move screws and bolts with hexagonal sockets. Though Allen keys of various sizes are available, every cyclist should own at least 4, 5, and 6mm keys to make their ride hassle-free.
- Chain whip
To change the cassette of your bicycle, you need a chain whip.
- Chain tool
A chain tool helps you cut the old chain and adjust the length of the new one. Also, if the chain breaks midway into a ride, a chain tool also helps pin it together.
- Spoke keys
As the name rightly suggests, spoke keys ensure the spoke wheels are running straight. A wheel that is out of alignment can be fixed with it.
- Torque wrench
A torque wrench is used to tighten bolts to the correct level of tension. Thus, avoiding over tightening of nuts and bolts.
- Cable cutters
Many small diameters cables exist in bicycles, such as brake cables and gear cables. A good quality cable cutter is essential for its smooth and clean cutting.
- Chain cleaner
While on a ride, mud and dirt may get deposited on the chain and the sprocket. It reduces the life of both parts. In fact, over time, it may even lead to a repeated problem of the chain slipping out of the sprocket.
No matter how well maintained your bicycle is, mechanical problems can happen anytime, and a multi-tool can be helpful during such challenging times. Usually, a multi-tool contains Allen keys, screwdrivers, torque wrench, chain tool, spoke keys, and tyre levers. While buying a multi-tool, make sure that it includes all features that you require. Remember, too many tools may put unnecessary weight on your backpack.
Many see bike maintenance as a burden and time-consuming activity, but all it needs is routine checks. Regular bike servicing helps you save a lot of time and money. Also, it ensures the long life of components and a smooth, noise-free and enjoyable ride.